Saturday, May 23, 2009

The Monster Strikes Again

It is funny that writing this post has been on my mind for awhile for many reasons and then on Thursday night it really became evident to me why, maybe. The first thing I want to say is....Cancer Sucks!!! I know that is harsh, but it is the truth.

Between Shawn and I we have lost more than our fair share of loved ones to this horrible disease. I have lost my dad,John, in his early 60's to renal cell carcinoma and his dad to the same type of cancer in his late 50's. My sister. Melinda, died at the early age of 24 to leukemia and a brother-in-law, Steve, in his late 30's to liver cancer. My dad's sister, Frieda, died in her late 50's to esophageal cancer and my step-father, Jerry to melanoma in his 50's. I can't begin to tell you how many extended family members I also have lost to this monster. Shawn lost his mom in her 50's to multiple melanoma as well as 6 months prior to her, her mom died of the same thing.

In the past week or so, two sports figures are dealing with cancer also. Boston College stand-out linebacker, Mark Herzlich, was diagnosed with Ewing's sarcoma and pro golfer, Phil Mickelson's wife, Amy, has been diagnosed with breast cancer. However, on Thursday night a young sports guy caught my attention. One of Zach's teammates mom informed me that she had received a call about her 13 yr-old son, CP, from the doctor. It appears that he has a malignancy. She was just beside herself. She hasn't told him yet because his appointment with the doctor is not until next Thursday and she didn't want him to have to worry all week.

She was in such a struggle in trying to figure out how to even tell him. I have had lots of cancer experience but not with my own children and I hope that is a place I never have to go. I pray that she and her husband find a way to tell him and that CP is able to take in what is going on and deal with it. I pray that this cancer is contained into one place and that it responds to treatment. As I obtain more info and I know CP is aware of the situation, I will post more specific information. Please lift this family up.

2 comments:

Darla said...

i hate to hear that. yes, cancer sucks! it's an ugly monster that i wish we could demolish forever. i will keep this family in my prayers.

What's next said...

I will pray for them... the nurse director for the school dist. I worked for in the dallas area lost her daughter to brain cancer last week, she was in her 20's. I was just discussing how I can't even imagine dealing with it with my child.